I had a big chunk of this post written when my computer decided it would rather do anything but let me write! So, this is “take 2″.
The Kid and I have been running all over Kansas City picking up treasures (and some not so much). In the process, I met Brittnee (Hi Brittnee!) and was introduced to this little gem:
I so love this design, which reached its height in popularity around 1939/1940. These are fairly simply built but usually had a veneer with a nice design. Finding this particular piece was especially nice as it included the mirror. Considering that the mirror is about eighty or eighty-five years old, it is in amazing condition. It did have its faults, though and I will talk about how to deal with them.
Let me show you some of the close ups before we really got started:
First and foremost, I attacked the drawers. In relatively good shape, all that was really needed was glue!
Next came the cabinet. There were really only a couple of places that needed special attention: there was a piece of trim missing on the inside right cabinet. The other was left front cabinet… almost looks like a puppy cut her teeth on this! And the whole thing needed a good sanding! There was almost a nice veneer under that coat of paint, but it wouldn’t have been worth the effort to sand it down and varnish it. There just were too many dings and marks.
But, like you probably know already, I like to paint! And I like to paint with pink! Following the sanding, I prep’d it with my bold pink tinted primer. I really love the way that “mistake” is turning out. I wanted it tinted to go under my pinks and reds, but somehow it turned out super dark pink. But it turns out to have been a blessing in disguise, as you can easily see any areas that you may have missed when you get ready to apply paint!
While I worked on the cabinet in the garage, I opted to bring the mirror inside. Just makes it that much easier to work on. Two appliques went on this piece, one on the mirror (you can kind of see it in the photo above) and one on the face of the vanity itself.
I love the way that appliques make even the simplest things fancy! Additionally, I found this gorgeous beaded ribbon in pink (found it at Hobby Lobby in their Christmas section. Yes, they are already working on getting Christmas decorations ready!). After the mirror frame was painted and then the mirror placed; I simply used glue to hold the ribbon in place. So cute!
This photo shows not only the ribbon trim but a closeup of the applique. The little wood piece that helps support the mirror is new, to replace an outdated piece of trim. This was actually salvaged from a different dresser. Gotta love that. It is my one chance to show The Kid that I actually do use the pieces I save!
Next came the knobs. With the attention to details, I knew that the hardware would have to be special as well. I had found the back plates on eBay a while back and just happened to have four clear glass knobs (I actually had five, so now there is an extra!)
Okay, a few more pictures of the final project:
Well, that’s it! Tomorrow I have another reveal, so stay tuned!