One of the things that drew me to my house was the use of arched windows. They add some real drama to the front of the house. I have one in the kitchen and it allows some really wonderful light to flow into the space. (Excuse my messy kitchen!)
A few years ago, I noticed though, that the arch of the window had something happening between the panes of the glass. I pretty much ignored it. Most of the time it wasn’t even noticeable, or more accurately, I didn’t notice it.
But recently, it seems that it has kind of taken over the window and I looked into it. Seems that this isn’t repairable, it has to be replaced and this is an expensive window. I would either have to bite the bullet or live with it. Things have been a little tight when it comes to be expenditures, so I knew that I would have to live with it. But the work I have been doing with the faux stained glass paint made me think I could at least dress up the window or at least hide the issue.
I did a Google search on red and white stained glass and stumbled over this image:I knew that this would be a perfect starting point for my design. And isn’t the red and white striking? So I made a online template and then played with options until I got it just right.
So, I had the Kid tape sheets of paper together and cut me a perfect size and shape template and I took it to a glass place and had a piece of 1/8″ glass cut. Then, using the same materials that I use in all of the faux stained glass, although this time I took to using larger bottles of paint and longer strips of the ‘leading’.
Next came the center image. I toyed with using the Apple Macintosh logo, since I am a big fan, but when I bounced the idea off the Kid, he thought not. Years ago, prompted by my love and use of Macs, people started giving me Apples, in all shapes, sizes and materials. I haven’t been able to display the entire collection since we moved here (still working the logistics – am thinking a built in cabinet in a nook at the bottom of the staircase) and I have a few of the apples in my kitchen around the sink. So, having an red apple in the center of this piece just made sense.
I found an image online and increased the size until it was just right and then printed it. I slipped the paper under the glass and then used the liquid leading. Its a little more difficult to use and practice does help, you really just have to go slow and steady.
Once it has dried, it was just a matter of filling in all of the areas with paint. Everything got two coats to make all the of the paint colors more vivid. Then the piece around the apple was filled with Crystal Clear and if you use the tip to put bumps and ridges in it as you apply it, when it dries it has a more authentic look.
After a few days of drying time, it was time to place the piece. Since I really didn’t want it to be permanent, I sized it to fit inside of the most inner trim of the window and used mirror clips to hold the mirror.
And here is the final look:I am very happy with how this project turned out. It is tough getting a photo of a window with the light shining through, and the piece really just shines. It is a real focus point in the room.
I liked so much how this came out, that I am doing another larger window sized piece. This time on another favorite red and white item: I already have all the leading completed. Not sure where it will go, but I am sure that it will turn out wonderful!
PS…for those interested, I am not being paid for nor sponsored in any way for the mention of any products in this post. I just like the way that these particular products work and want to share with you my success.